Friday, September 24, 2010

Ghost Box

I've recently become a little obsessed by this record label.
There's something in the music, and the design, that triggers memories of my childhood.
The music takes me back to the strange sounds i heard on 1970's children's TV, public information films, and TV test cards, whilst the record sleeves, based on the Romek Barber designed Penguin books from the 60's & 70's, remind me of library visits and text books from school.
The label was founded in 2003 by designer Julian House, and musician Jim Jupp, through a mutual love of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, English surrealism, library records, cosmic horror, and arts and crafts psychedelia.
The label has just made it's first forays into vinyl (surely the correct format for this music), with a series of reissues and a 7" series available here.
I'll post some of these over the next few weeks.
For now here's a collection of their amazing sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment